Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Asian Meatloaf & Coconut Rice

This is one of those meals that I start cooking and have no idea what I'm making. My stocked cupboard comes in handy on days like this. I start throwing things together and hope the meal turns out. All of it was great. The next time I make this, I may cut down on the chilli sauce or use a little applesauce and red pepper flakes instead.

Asian Meatloaf
1.5 lbs ground turkey
1 carrot grated
2-3 oz bamboo shoots, chopped
3/4 c rolled oats
1/2 c dried apples chopped
1 egg
1/4 t dried ginger
1/4 t fresh ginger grated
1 T sweet chilli sauce (like Mae Ploy)
2 T sherry
1 t soy sauce
1/2 t dark sesame oil

Mix all together. Bake 350 for 45 to 60 minutes.


Coconut Rice:
1 c coconut milk
2 c water
1 1/2 c brown rice
1 lemon
1 t asian fish sauce
2 to 3 oz bamboo shoots, chopped*

Trim 1/4 to 1/2 of the rind off the lemon. Add the lemon rind, water, coconut milk and fish sauce to a pot and boil. Add rice, cover and cook until done. Stir in the bamboo shoots.


We ate this with corn on the cob and salad with Japanese dressing. I didn't measure any of the dressing ingredients, used olive oil instead of peanut, eliminated the onion, water and sugar. I'm not sure what the original dressing would taste like, but my version was very good.

*I used one 5 oz can of bamboo shoots between the two recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment