Monday, May 30, 2011

Pumkin Muffins - Wheat Free

I originally came up with this recipe when my brother lived with us and he found out he couldn't eat wheat. They are something I still make today because I love them. They are pretty solid and don't raise like most muffins, but they are still really good. I never put the full amount of sugar in them and often make them with no sugar. They aren't sweet with no sugar, but are still good.

4.5 T milled flax seed
6 T water
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c oil
3/4 c pumpkin puree
3/4 c brown sugar (optional)
1 t vanilla extract
1 t cinnamon (I usually add extra, up to 2 t)
1 t pumkin pie spice (or just a blend of cloves, nutmeg, & allspice)
1 c oatmeal (ground)
1 c cornmeal
1/2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t baking powder
pinch salt

Blend the flax and water together with a hand blender, add oil, applesauce & pumpkin. Mix well. Add in brown sugar (if using), vanilla, cinnamon, & pie spice. Blend. Mix in the cornmeal, ground oats, baking soda, baking powder & salt. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350. Makes 8 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment