Saturday, June 2, 2012

Carrot Cake Waffles

My kids are pretty good eaters, but I still like to get extra veggies and fruits into them. I woke up this morning with a craving for carrot cake, so looked online for a carrot cake waffle recipe. I couldn't find any that I loved. Most of them used a boxed mix of carrot cake as the started and none used pineapple. The best carrot cake has crushed pineapple in it. So, these waffles were invented. I left out the raisins and walnuts today because I wasn't sure if the kids would love that in their waffles. I also added some grated green apple, only because we had some leftover from yesterday and I wanted to use it up. The waffles were great, but personally I think they could have used a little more carrot and pineapple.
Whisk together
1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
1 T baking powder
1 T sugar (optional)
1/4 c milled flax seed (optional)
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t allspice

Whisk in another bowl:
3 large eggs
4 T apple sauce
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c lightly drained crushed pineapple
1 c grated carrot
1/2 c golden raisins (optional)
1/2 c chopped walnuts (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment