Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cauliflower and Brussels Sprout "Gratin"

I based my recipe from this recipe. I'm sure the original is amazing, but I didn't want to use cream because of the kids and I wanted something a little healthier. This recipe could easily be made vegan by using some brewers yeast instead of the parmesan cheese, but I would go easy on the yeast.

1 1/2 lbs brussels sprouts, cut into fourths
1 1/2 lbs cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 1/2 c almond milk
1 c chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water and bullion. I'm sure some wine would be good too
1 to 2 T sweet sherry
1 T fresh sage, chopped
1 large shallot, chopped
 parmesan cheese
corn starch
1 T butter

Grease a 13x9" pan and heat oven to 375.

Put 1/2 of the brussels sprouts and cauliflower in the pan. Sprinkle a little parmesan over them, some pepper and the butter sliced into small pieces. Add the other half of the veggies and sprinkle again.

In a pot, bring the broth, almond milk, sherry, & sage to a boil. Thicken with a little corn starch mixed with water. I think I used about 2 T.

Pour the hot mixture over the veggies. Cover and cook for 40 minutes. Uncover and cook for 15 more.

No comments:

Post a Comment